The sad news
When winter break started it was much harder to have a regular watering schedule because it’s break and not many people would really want to help on vacation, or they couldn’t come downtown, including myself. Thus the seedlings went about 6 days without watering in the middle-ish of December, and everything died. Very sad. 😦
The good news!
I have made sure to go every other day to water, and now things are looking up! Literally, with the new seeds finally sprouting. 😉
Because everything had dried out and died, I decided that the best thing to do to mend the situation was to replant what I could with the seeds that we had leftover. For the most part there was more packages, but some of the seeds planted were all we had of those kinds.
What I replanted:
Tendergreen Mustard. Previous posts with pictures showed that this had sprouted and grown quite fast, and I was really looking forward to the mustard growing, so I was upset about these dying most of all. We still had more seeds, but not as many as before.
|The new Tendergreen Mustard seedlings|
Arugala. The death of the arugala was also disappointing, 1 because I planted it myself, and 2 because there was so much of it. C’est la vie. I have replanted both trays and it is growing back splendidly.
|Lots of arugala sprouts|
Paris Island Cos Romaine Lettuce.
Red Oak Leaf Lettuce.
Here are some pictures of seedlings that I have moved to bigger pots.
|These two would be Tendergreen Mustard. The farther pot is sprouts that were growing all in one little square, so hopefully the bigger pot will help them spread out a little more.|
|This is…..Tendergreen Mustard I think. Or Arugala. I guess we’ll find out when it gets bigger!|
Since so many seedlings died, and I could only replant some of them, I used the soil from dead seedlings to put in the larger pots for the few that I’ve repotted so far. I don’t know if this is a good idea, but I don’t see why not. (Obviously I removed the dead plants before mixing the soil together) I’ve already emptied out a few trays as you can see, which cleared up a nice bit of space that I’m using as my ‘work station’ to do the repotting. It’s pretty crowded on the other tables.
You can see the stack of seedling trays to the right; those are the ones I’ve emptied the soil out of to use again. Quite a lot.
|My work station|
As a general look around the greenhouse, we have I think six small aloe plants.
They were all cuttings from the mother plant, which is below. It’s growing in a bucket, which I find a little funny. 🙂
|I put my hand in the shot so you can see how big it is.|
Here’s a picture of the Chioggia Beets, which are still doing fine, although the leaves are being eaten!! There’s a few small flies in the greenhouse, so I’m wondering if they are doing the damage. I don’t think it will badly affect the plants too much… I don’t know how long it takes for the actual beet part to grow, I’ll have to look that up, but hopefully it’ll take awhile and maybe we can transplant them to the Gould Garden in the spring before they grow.
Here is a picture of some Red Russian Kale that I planted in a larger pot. There’s a bit of a story behind these guys: When I was repotting other seedlings and using the soil from the dead seedlings, I naturally thought that they were all dead and nothing was still growing. Well, I look in a tray and there is two itty bitty seedlings just coming out of the soil. Quelle surprise! There was another two in another tray, and even another in a third tray as well! They are the only Red Russian Kale that survived the Great Drought of December 2011 and so I replanted them all. 🙂