Friday, March 4th | 1–4pm
First Fridays Begins: Meet and Greet / Seed-Planning Activity
Monday, March 15th–24th
10-Week Garden Design Program
First Fridays Begin March 4th
Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying your winter hibernation and are excited to help us start preparing for a new season. We’ll be starting this week with our First Friday drop-in event to discuss and plan for the gardens. Seeing as this is the first event of the year, there will be a Meet and Greet for anyone who wants to discuss urban agriculture on campus and find out how to get involved with the project throughout the growing season. The Meet and Greet portion will include a presentation on our programming for the year, followed by a seed-planning activity for our greenhouse-seedling operation. If the weather is fair, we’ll end with a tour of the gardens. Refreshments will be served!
When: Friday March 4th, 1–4pm
What: First Friday: Meet and Greet / Seed-Planning Activity
Where: Zone Learning Centre (ARC 100) at 325 Church Street
Who: Anyone interested in learning more about urban agriculture and how to get involved!
Be sure to mark every first Friday of the month in your calendar, and stay tuned to our eNewsletter for more event details.
10-Week Garden Design Program: Sign Up Today!
Join our 10-week Garden Design Program this spring and learn the fundamentals of Ecological Garden Design and Market Gardening. Through on-campus workshops, field exercises, and hands-on activities, participants will learn and practice garden design through the planning and planting of Ryerson’s quarter acre rooftop farm, and ground-level polyculture gardens.
Dates: March 15th–May 24th 2016
- Classroom sessions on Tuesday evenings from 5–7pm
- Field sessions on your choice of
- Sundays 1–4pm;
- Tuesdays 1–4pm; or
- Fridays 9am–12pm
Location: Ryerson University, Campus Gardens & Rooftop Farm
Price: $225.00 ($20/week + $25 registration fee)
Student Rate: $125.00 ($10/week + $25 registration fee)
How to Apply: Email Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information:
- why you want to participate in the program;
- past gardening experience (if any) or related outdoor experience;
- short paragraph about yourself (i.e., department or faculty at Ryerson (if any), field of study, profession, interests, etc.);
- what field session you are applying for (i.e., Sundays 1pm-4pm; Tuesdays 1pm-4pm; or Fridays 9am-12pm), in order of preference. Please note, Tuesday classroom sessions from 5pm to 7pm are mandatory.
Workshop and field exercises will include:
- greenhouse seedling production;
- crop-planning: sowing calendar, harvest schedule, crop rotation, record keeping;
- supporting biodiversity and soil health: green manures, cover crops, mulches;
- techniques for planting, weeding, pest maintenance, irrigation and harvesting;
- composting methods: hot composting, vermicompost and compost tea;
- survey of approaches: biointensive, permaculture and biodynamic farming;
- site assessment: observation, solar mapping and soil testing; and
- plant identification and uses.
Spaces are limited, so don’t hesitate to apply today!
2016 Programs and Volunteer Opportunities
We are offering the following programs and volunteer opportunities in 2016:
- 10-week Garden Design Program starting March 15th–24th;
- Member Farmer CSA Program on the rooftop through the summer and fall; and
- drop-in volunteering on the First Friday of every month.
In addition, we are excited to be offering a number of additional volunteer opportunities, with options for more committed positions to occasional volunteers (not all of which require getting dirty!).
These volunteer opportunities include:
- managing our booth at the Ryerson Farmers’ Market on Gould Street (May–October);
- tending to our ground-level pollinator gardens and food forest;
- supporting seasonal events such as the Spring Fair, Summer Open Farm, Fall Harvest Party and Winter Market.
Volunteers will be eligible for certificate of completion and reference letter at the end of the season.
To learn more about our programs and volunteer opportunities, please join us at our upcoming Meet and Greet on March 4th!